Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Letter From A Former Captain

Ice Fans,

I would like to start off by saying that my time in Cranbrook with the Ice were the best four years of my life. There were so many positive experience's that not only helped me grow as a person but also as a hockey player. The people of Cranbrook watched me grow from a 17 year old grade 12 student to a 20 year old captain. There were many ups and downs along the way from not getting very much or even any ice time at all to being a guy who was expected to produce and play in all situations.
Some things I will never forget about Cranbrook is first off my billets, Garry and Joan Pitters for my first two years and then Alex and Heather Jensen for my final two years. Without those families my transition moving away from home would have been a lot more difficult, they made it so easy. I'll never forget my first goal against Red Deer in the Rec Plex against Gerry Festa. Also I'll never forget the atmosphere in the Rec Plex during my first year in the Western Conference Final against Kelowna when Martin Sagat scored with 3.1 seconds to tie the game and send it into overtime (it was so loud I remember not even being able to hear myself think) when Dale Mahovsky then scored to continue the series. Then there's the overtime game 7 to Calgary, sitting in the dressing room 10 minutes before the game hearing the sold out crowd chant ICE,ICE,ICE sent chills through my body. Of course I'll never forget my teammates, friendships that will last forever with these guys, and I couldn't have asked for better people to be associated with. Of course the Ice organization was always top notch in everything they did and I would like to thank them for everything and putting up with me for the four years.
As for life after junior hockey, I will be attending the University of Saskatchewan where I am enrolled into the Arts and Science program taking classes that will hopefully lead me to a degree in Kinesiology. Without the WHL scholorship program this might not be a route I would take but the program is amazing and it's a tough opportunity to turn down. I'd like to thank all the fans for helping make the program a success and sending me to school.
On a little side note I hope all Ice fans will become fans of the University of Saskatchewan Huskie hockey team. There are 5 former members of the Ice on the team. Casey Lee, Jeff Harvey, Zach Sim, Chad Greenan, and myself.
Hope you all have a good season and hopefully if Jeff Hollick will have me back I will update you all on how difficult it is to manage a full course schedual and also be part of the hockey team.

Steve Da Silva