Tuesday, October 14, 2008

10 Things I Think I Think

1. I think I still believe that Brandon will be awarded the right to host the 2010 Memorial Cup. The announcement will be made on Wednesday.
2. I think the WHL will announce this week the approval of new owners for the Portland Winter Hawks. Reports indicate it will be followed by a new coaching staff and management. Some nervous days for Trail native Richard Kromm who is the current coach of the Hawks.
3. I think it was nice to see gas prices during our road trip of $1.09 in Alberta and $1.18 in Saskatchewan. It wasn't nice to see $1.28 when we got back to Cranbrook.
4. I think whenever I hear Tigers' Assistant Coach Shaun Clouston talk I have to do a double take as he sounds exactly like his younger brother Cory. They sound exactly the same. Cory is in his 2nd year with the AHL Bingamton Senators. The Hockey News predicts them to finish in last place. They are currently 2-0.
5. I think there will be at least 3 trades this week involving 20-year-old players. The league deadline to be down to the limit of 3 over-agers is this Thursday.
6. I think every Sunday and Holiday Monday WHL game should start at 2:00.
7. I think Moose Jaw is close to losing their team. The WHL wants a new rink built as the Civic Centre is below league standards. A few years ago taxpayers approved the city donating $15 million towards a $35 million dollar facility. But since things have been delayed the price to build the rink is $61 million and $34 million would come from taxes. Looks like they are headed towards another referendum to approve the extra $19 million from taxpayers. The WHL wanted the construction to have been started months ago. You don't know how lucky you are to not have to watch 36 games in that building.
8. I think I would pay to see Ron White. He is the funniest of the Blue Collar Comedy Tour comedians. Since the chances of him coming around hear are minimal, I'll just have to get the books and DVD's.
9. I think Seinfeld + Northern Exposure = Corner Gas. I hope the comments that it's the final season of the TV Show are just bargaining chips for a bigger contract. It's got 3-4 years of life left.
10. I think I am surprised the Calgary Hitmen, for the 2nd year in a row, have only 1 Import on their roster. Of all the teams in the WHL you would think they would have the biggest advantage getting Europeans. They're owned by the Flames. Shouldn't the NHL team encourage their draft picks to play for the WHL team? At the very least couldn't the Hitmen use the Flames scouting reports of all players overseas.