Monday, October 20, 2008

10 Things I Think I Think

1. I think I don't know which is more a surprising statistic. There are 3 teams that still have room for 1 more over-ager and 1 team (Kelowna) that has 2 over-age spots open or there are 6 teams that have only Import player on their roster and 1 team (Brandon) that has 2 Import spots open.
2. I think I can't believe goalie Dan Spence couldn't find a home in the WHL. He had an amazing winning percentage against the ICE the last couple of seasons.
3. I think I don't know what it takes to get an instigator penalty anymore. It's the only thing about the officiating that has me puzzled this year.
4. I think it's time to check the ICE Franchise Record book. Andrew Bailey is 1 game behind Trevor Johnson (232) for the 12th most career games played. Bailey is 2 assists behind Jason Jaffray (102) for 11th in all-time assists. Bailey is 4th with 17 game winning goals. (Nigel Dawes 29, Steve DaSilva 19, Zdenek Blatny 18) John Negrin is 4 points behind Gerard Dicaire (82) for 5th in all-time defenseman points. Dustin Sylvester is 11th in all-time +/- with a +33.
5. I think it's funny how writers want to be broadcasters and broadcasters want to be writers. Shows like PTI, The Reporters and Around The Horn feature columnists who can't wait to voice their opinions. Then you have announcers doing blogs.
6. I think The Family Guy and South Park continue to be the only new TV shows that can make me laugh out loud.
7. I think this years' World Series may have the lowest rankings ever. I'm not saying they should, but they will.
8. I think if you are a baseball fan you have to read Baseball Between The Numbers. My favorite chapter is how building a new stadium, in the long run, doesn't help create more money. In fact, in most cases, they lose money as opposed to staying where they are.
9. I think I miss election nights when you didn't know the results 1 minute after the polls closed.
10. I think I can't wait til someone creates a solid curling game for the Wii. Seems like a natural bestseller in Canada and other countries that follow the sport.