Monday, October 27, 2008

10 Things I Think I Think

1. I think the ICE are on their way to setting a team record for overtime games in one season. After 18 games (1/4 of the season) the club has played in 8 extra periods. That makes them on pace for 32 OT games. Last year they set the team record with 19 games (11 decided in OT and 8 in SO).
2. I think I am tired of people complaining that the league has to do a better job when making the WHL schedule. The schedule is done by all the GM's and not by league officials. They do the best they can and every team has a few hiccups.
3. I think I liked the league schedule when it used to be the ICE played every team at home and the road at least once a season. No visits to the BC Division doesn't seem right.
4. I think I wasn't suprised when on Alan Caldwell's blog (link to the left) he compiled the travel distances travel by all the teams and the ICE came in 2nd overall. I was suprised that Brandon was 1st and Prince George was 3rd.
5. I think we'll be seeing new uniforms by WHL teams as early as next year. RBK has been overwhelmed doing all the NHL jersey's that last 2 years but should be caught up by this season.
6. I think I can't wait for Daylights Savings time. It's pretty dark in the mornings.
7. I think there are some great 16-year olds in the WHL. Edmonton's Mark Pysyk & Prince George's Brett Connolly had solid games at the Rec-Plex but Moose Jaw's Quinton Howden has been the best 16-year old playing against the ICE this season.
8. I think I am not suprised Colton Gillies, Brandon Sutter and Luke Schenn made their NHL clubs. I am suprised Luca Sbisa and Oscar Moller are in the NHL and are looking very impressive.
9. I think it's going to be the 2010-11 season before the ICE play a game in the new rink in Kent, Washington, the new home of the Seattle Thunderbirds. The ICE are scheduled to play in Seattle in a few weeks but the new building won't be ready.
10. I think if you are covering a hockey game for newspaper, radio or TV and are not responsible for picking the 3-stars and you don't like the selections ... pick your own. Some people just have to find new ways to be negative.