Tuesday, November 11, 2008

10 Things I Think I Think

1. I think the Kootenay ICE, at 1 game above .500, are right where they expected to be at this time of the season. They have the 2nd youngest team in the league and probably play their 16 & 17 year olds in more crucial situations than any other team. They have the youngest goalie tandem. They lost 4 players from their #1 power-play unit. Plus they had the busiest and toughest schedule to start the season.
2. I think Brandon, 5th place in East, and Lethbridge, T-5th in the Central, are not where they expected to be at this time of the season. Look for both teams to make a turn for the better over the next 5-6 weeks.
3. I think Vancouver with 0 regulation losses are not where anyone expected them to be at this time of the season. It's usually this time of the year the Giants get a couple of top quality players to leave the BCHL and play in the WHL. If it happens again they may be primed for another long run.
4. I think Giants goalie Tyson Sexsmith setting the WHL career record with his 22nd shutout came with an amazing amount of quiet fanfare. Sure he played for some great teams and maybe had some easy nights but it still takes a perfect game to get a shutout. By the end of the year he could have 30 career shutouts and a record that may never be broken.
5. I think the league should have a broadcaster of the year award and name it after the Tigers' Bob Ridley. There is no one that I rely on more for advice than Bob. If the Hockey Hall of Fame can induct a broadcaster annually then the WHL at the very least can recognize 1 person a year.
6. I think when the WHL plays Russia in Swift Current and Prince Albert this month, they should find a way to get a local player on the roster. As of now there is no Bronco or Raider on the roster.
7. I think the ICE playing 8 road games in row is not a franchise record. Remember they started the 00-01 season with 10 straight on the road and had a 8-1-0-1 record.
8. I think it was strange to see Moose Jaw and Regina make a signifigant trade. Goalie Jeff Bosch for forward Neal Prokop was announced on Monday. They are 2 major rivals and usually avoid exchanging players.
9. I think even tough the NFL Titans haven't lost a game the NY Giants, with 1 loss, are the best team. Remember the long winning streak they had last year on the way to winning a Super Bowl.
10. I think ... is not punctuation. When did that start?