Monday, November 17, 2008

10 Things I Think I Think

1. I think there hasn't been one complaint about how much fun it is to watch this years' Kootenay ICE. Especially when they worked as hard and as committed they were on the weekend. They may be a team is transition but we can see the benefits of the growing pains already.
2. I think other than Calgary the East Conference is a even battle. Anyone can beat anyone else an any given night.
3. I think it's no coincidence that the 3 teams that have the best records in the WHL have the best defensemen core. Vancouver, Calgary and Saskatoon each have an amazing top 4 and a very deep top 6. It worked for the NHL's Detroit Red Wings last year.
4. I think Portland, who are 6-3-0 since the coaching change, are not out of the playoff race in the West. They are 6 points out of the last playoff spot. They were 2-12-0 before the change.
5. I think next week will be a busy one for John Negrin who will play 2 games against Russia on Wednesday & Thursday, then will fly to Seattle in time for the ICE game on the Friday and then also play Saturday in Everett. Dustin Sylvester will be with hi the whole time but will play in 1 game against Russia.
6. I think everyone who helped make the tail-gate party a success should be proud of themselves. It takes a lot of planning and work just to make sure the 2 hours go smoothly.
7. I think the point system should be 4 points for a regulation win, 3 points for an overtime win and 2 points for a shootout win. The loser should get 1 point for an overtime or shootout loss. There has been some talk about a 3-2-1 but I like 4-3-2-1. Can you imagine a tie game with 5 minutes left knowing you could gain 4 points with a win in regulation. Most nights both teams will be going harder for a win.
8. I think looking at the Russian roster for the games against the CHL do not have a lot of their best players. If this format has run it's course then it may be time to go back to WHL All-Star Games. It used to be a skills competition one night followed by a game the next night.
9. I think in the NFL Tennessee will get to 14-0. They're 10-0 with NY Jets, Detroit, Cleveland & Houston in the next 4 weeks. They end the season with Pittsburgh & Indianapolis.
10. I think in the NHL Ottawa is the biggest disappointment. They're trying hard to make a trade but I don't believe the Spezza rumours.