Wednesday, December 17, 2008

10 Things I Think I Think

1. I think I was suprised to hear Chiefs' defenseman Jared Cowen was not invited to Team Canada's camp. Then I was very suprised to hear the OHL's leading scorer Taylor Hall didn't make the team and the WHL's Evander Kane and Brayden Scheen were cuts as well. I thought 2 of the 3 forwards would make it.
2. I think it would be great to watch the U-17 tournament in person. The best 16-years olds in the country, plus 5 international teams, would be very entertaining.
3. I think the WHL head office must be drooling at the possibility of their 2 biggest cities, Vancouver & Calgary, meeting in the league final.
4. I think it is still hard to come from behind in games. Only 1 team, Prince George with 5, has come from behind when trailing after 2 periods more than 3 times this season.
5. I think it's suprising to discover only 3 WHL teams have a winning record when trailing after the 1st period. Calgary 7-2-0-0, Tri City 5-3-0-1 and Vancouver 3-2-0-1.
6. I think this is why some teams may start to play defensively and not give up the 1st goal instead of being aggressive and get the 1st goal.
7. I think I hope newly acquired ICE goalie Todd Matthews takes advantage of his 2nd chance in the WHL. The 18-year-old had good numbers as a back-up with Moose Jaw last year but didn't seem to be ready to handle being a #1 this year. Warrior Head Coach Dave Hunchak says he can pass the puck up to the neutral zone as good as some defensemen.
8. I think without Tigers Woods golf has not been interesting. In fact the biggest golf story in months is when Tigers' caddy said he hates Phil Mikkelson.
9. I think I remember being in charge of an outdoor door rink and was not allowed to have the place open when it was -25. At -24 there was still a few kids who would never leave the ice. This week when it got very cold no one would even think about playing outside.
10. I think I enjoyed watching the DVD The Bronx Is Burning. It based on the 1977 Yankees. The inside story on Billy Martin, Reggie Jackson and George Steinbrenner makes me wonder what's happening behind the scenes at pro teams in the NHL, NBA, NFL & NBA.