Friday, January 23, 2009

Maxwell In WHL Alumni Spotlight



http://whl.ca/whl-alumni-spotlight---ben-maxwell-p127440

Ben Maxwell wowed Western Hockey League fans with his speed and tremendous offensive skills during his four-year career with the Kootenay Ice.
Now, the 20-year-old from North Vancouver, B.C., is making a name for himself as a go-to guy in his first season of professional hockey with the AHL’s Hamilton Bulldogs.
Kootenay’s 1st round pick, 2nd overall, at the 2003 WHL Bantam Draft, Maxwell racked up 64 goals and 159 points in 210 regular-season games for the Ice from 2004 – 2008, helping the Ice to four straight seasons with 40 or more wins. The 6’0”, 177-lb pivot also added 10 goals and 23 points in 40 career WHL playoff games, and helped the Ice reach the Western Conference Championship series in 2005.
Drafted by the Montreal Canadiens in the 2nd round, 47th overall, at the 2006 NHL Entry Draft, Maxwell joins fellow WHL grads Shawn Belle, Ryan White, Ryan Russell and Kyle Chipchura among Canadiens’ prospects playing for the Bulldogs – the Canadiens’ AHL affiliate.
So far, it’s been smooth sailing for Maxwell in his first season of pro hockey. The talented centerman has racked up 12 goals and 29 points in 36 games to put him among the Bulldogs’ scoring leaders and the AHL’s rookie scoring leaders. In fact, Maxwell has impressed enough to earn a seven-game stint in the NHL with the Canadiens.
Catching Up With…Ben Maxwell
On making the jump to professional hockey…
“It’s obviously a huge step…boys to men. The good thing is that, having played in the WHL, I was better prepared to take that step. In the WHL, you’re playing the long schedule and playing against the best players in your age group, so it really helped me prepare for what I would face at the next level.”
On the adjustment to the AHL and NHL…
“The biggest thing is getting the confidence. I’m lucky to have been given plenty of opportunities to play and be on the ice, both in Hamilton and in Montreal, and I’ve tried to take advantage of those opportunities as best I can. Other than that, the biggest thing is that guys at this level are bigger, faster and stronger. It takes time to adjust, but the more you get to play, the easier it is to get used to it.”
On making his NHL debut with the Montreal Canadiens…
“I was really anxious to get the game going. Of course, the nerves were there and you’re excited to get in there for that first game. I felt very lucky to be given the chance to play and to just be there in the first place. It was so great to pull that Canadiens jersey on and then play my first shift in front of the fans in Montreal. It’s tough to take in at the time, but it was a great feeling.”
On his strong start to the AHL season…
“For me, this year was a year that I just wanted to stay healthy and play a full season. The last few years in Kootenay have been tough with me being injured and playing only half seasons. I worked really hard this summer to prepare and try and focus on my health. Again, though, I was given the opportunity to play a big role this season, and I have been able to help the team so far.”
On keeping up with the Ice…
“I keep in good touch. Obviously, the team has changed a lot and there is nobody left from when I played my 16-year-old season, but I made a ton of good friends during my time in Cranbrook, on and off the ice. I keep in touch with my billets and some of the people with the team, and I check to see how the team is doing from time to time.”
Jesse Watts,
whl.ca