Saturday, February 14, 2009

Red Deer 2 Kootenay 1

Rebels beat the ICE for the 3rd time this season with a 2-1 win in Red Deer. All the goals were scored in the 2nd period. Drew Czerwonka scored on a power-play rebound. ICE never generated many great scoring chances even though they were credited with 34 shots.
With 2.2 second the ICE scored, but after a long discussion the officials ruled the net had come off before the puck went in. No one is 100% sure if the goal should have counted so it was a guess.
On the broadcast I mentioned I saw the ICE celebrate, noticed the net came off it's support and the red light was turned on. All of that happened with 1-2 seconds. From my far angle I never saw the puck go in. The officials did see the puck did go into the net. As was mentioned I have no idea if the right call was made.
As in all disputed goals I have sympathy for the officials with no replay to use.
The fact it was a possible tying goal and not a winning goal made me think it was going to be ruled a goal.
Rematch Sunday at the Rec-Plex.