Monday, September 21, 2009

10 Things I Think I Think

10 Things I Think I Think is a creation of SI NFL writer Peter King. His Monday Morning Quarterback articles every week are must read for all football fans at si.com. In a tribute to him, which is a nice way of saying I stole his concept, here is my 10 for the week.

This weeks’ 10 things are all about the ICE.

1. I think the ICE will go as far as the goaltending will take them. Which can be said by all 22 WHL teams, but over the years the ICE have always seemed to have one of the top goalies in the division and sometimes in the league. Some nights the club will need the goalie to steal a game but most nights just don’t give up the bad goal and everything should be good. The club doesn’t seem to have enough scoring to giving the opposition freebies.
2. I think one of the club’s main goals is to find the right centre to play with Dustin Sylvester. Over the years it’s been guys like Ben Maxwell and Steve DaSilva who had the right chemistry. On opening weekend his linemates were Matt Fraser and Kevin King. Sly can create a lot of scoring chances on his own but to have consistent success he will need to find the right playmaker.
3. I think it’ll be fun to watch Brayden McNabb and Hayden Rintoul be the powerplay quarterbacks. Last year, at the age of 17, both went through growing pains in that role. Petr Senkerick will get a chance on the #2 unit.
4. I think the penalty-kill will be another key to the ICE success this year. Losing Andrew Bailey (dozen blocked shot per game), Ian Barteaux and Tylan Stephens, who all flourished on the PK, are big skates to fill.
5. I think attendance will be a topic around the WHL. The talk of recession all summer long has been lurking as hockey season approached. The ICE had their lowest opening night crowd since moving to the Rec-Plex. That being said, a big thanx to our clients for your continued support on the radio broadcast. The 26 features are sold out. Limited space is available for the regular commercials.
6. I think the ICE will wait a while, maybe a few months, before they fill their last overage spot. It’’ll be a combination of what they feel is their biggest need and what’s available.
7. I think there will be a constant battle to make the game night roster for the 5th and 6th spots on the blueline. Looks like McNabb, Rintoul, Molle and Senkerik are the top 4. Then it’s, in no particular order, Machacek, Martin, Leach and Paulsen. The competition to play should make the team better.
8. I think there is also a battle for the forwards. Unless there is an injury, Skrudland, Hurley and Pearce may rotate for the 12th forward spot. As coach Holick said on the weekend, what you do in practice is as a factor as to who plays and doesn’t play.
9. I think a concern going into the season was who was going to replace Barteaux’s physical presence. Recently the ICE haven’t the leagues’ toughest player but seemed to be okay as far as overall team toughness was concerned. In the opening weekend the club was involved in 11 fights. Czerwonka, Montgomery and Machacek had 2 each. Toughness isn’t just about the fights, it’s the commitment to physical play and the willing to do it every night.
10. I think these are my non-hockey thoughts.
a) It’s the House season premiere tonight. It’s a 2-hour episode and reviews say it’s good enough to be a movie.
b) Love the mobile internet key for the laptop. Able to access the internet while on the bus. Plus when I had problems in the Red Deer arena, I just used the key and was able to access the internet. Talk about having no stress. Keep the comments coming at jeff@thedrivefm.ca.
c) The baseball playoffs should start tomorrow. I’m already moving towards following the NFL. Nothing left to decide in the playoff races.
d) Available October 20th, Peter King “Monday Morning Quarterback” the book.