Tuesday, September 29, 2009

10 Things I Think I Think

10 Things I Think I Think is a creation of SI NFL writer Peter King. His Monday Morning Quarterback articles every week are must read for all football fans at si.com. In a tribute to him, which is a nice way of saying I stole his concept, here is my 10 for this week.

1. I think the first couple of weeks has shown what most predicted and that’s the Central Division is going to be strong with no team that should run away with the title. Calgary is 4-0 and has a winning tradition by taking the Division crown the past 2 years. But expect a lot of 1-goal game whenever there is a divisional match-up.
2. I think the East will continue to be a two horse race with Brandon and Saskatoon. It’s too early to get a feeling on which of the other 4 teams might present a challenge.
3. I think it can be a huge turnaround year for Portland who could go from worst to first. A solid division, although Seattle has won one of their first five games and has a goals-against-average of 4.25.
4. I think the B.C. Division is up for grabs. Vancouver and Kelowna have owned the division for a long time and it appears Kamloops is ready to break-up that party.
5. I think it was interesting to see Brandon Sutter and Colton Gillies get sent down to the AHL. Both made the NHL at 19-years-old but are in the minors before the next season starts. The argument is always whether a player will develop quicker and better with another year in the WHL. Jordan Eberle returning to Regina is being considered a smart move for both the team and the player.
6. I think as of today the ICE and Kelowna are the only teams with an opening for an over-ager. Medicine Hat has five while Brandon, Prince George, Saskatoon, Red Deer, Spokane and Swift current each have four.
7. I think you should pay close attention to the Red Deer at Brandon game on Friday. Wheat King goalie Andrew Hayes has 3 consecutive shutouts, the WHL record is 4.
8. I think Medicine Hat will be busy the next few weeks. They still have 29 players on their roster, including five over-agers and six 16-year-olds.
9. I think the upcoming road trip for the ICE, which is six games in 10 days, is their longest trip since going to Guelph for the 2002 Memorial Cup. Over the years 7-8 days has been the longest time away from home. That’s a lot of clothes to pack.
10. I think these are my non-hockey thoughts.
a) A Yankees-Dodgers World Series (Reggie Jackson-Tommy Lasorda memories) would be a great story, so would Red Sox-Dodgers (Manny returns to Fenway). Atlanta is 2 games behind Colorado for the NL Wild Card, when did that happen? Do you realize there could be a World Series game in November. Time to find those caps with ear flaps.
b) The first 4 weeks of the NFL always fly by really quickly. Games of the week for week #4 … Baltimore @ New England and on Monday Night it’s Green Bay at Minnesota (Favre’s 1st game against the Packers)
c) The NHL season opens on Thursday. It’s an Olympic year. I think more people are talking about Team Canada’s line-up than what will happen in the NHL this season.
d) If I was Sam Bradford, I am wondering if I should have gone pro this year.