Thursday, November 19, 2009

10 Things I Think I Think

10 Things I Think I Think is a creation of SI NFL writer Peter King. His Monday Morning Quarterback articles every week are must read for all football fans at si.com. In a tribute to him, which is a nice way of saying I stole his concept, here is my 10 for this week.

1. I think based on history, the ICE are close to making another roster move. Traditionally the club goes through the season with 22 players (13 forwards, 7 defensemen and 2 goalies). Right now they have 8 defensemen. Based on playing time the #6-#8 spots are James Martin, Cason Machacek and Luke Paulsen. The ICE have 5 18-year old defensemen on their roster and probably don’t want to have 5 19-year defensemen next year. Martin has played forward at times this year. The ICE may not make any move at all and go on with 23 players. Remember the club still has an spot open for another over-ager.
2. I think in games against the ICE the best forward performances have come from Prince Albert’s Igor Revenko (4 goals in 2 games) and Red Deer’s Willie Coetzee (4 goals and 5 points in 2 games).
3. I think the best opposition rookie performances against the ICE came from the Rebels’ Ryan Nugent Hopkins (1 goal and 5 points in 2 games) and Medicine Hat’s Emerson Etem (4 goals in 2 games).
4. I think the best performances by opposition defensemen were from Moose Jaw’s Travis Hamonic and Calgary Michael Stone. Both had solid all-around showings in 2 games each against the ICE. Tigers’ Mark Isherwood had a 4-point game against the ICE.
5. I think the best performance by a goalie against the ICE was Seattle’s Calvin Pickard. The ICE won 1-0 in overtime. He wasn’t flashy but made many tough saves look easy. Lethbridge's Brandon Anderson made 44 saves against the ICE and Calgary's Michael Snider stole a game with 39 saves.
6. I think the best team the ICE have played in the East Conference is Saskatoon. Big, tough, fast and depth on forward and defense. Calgary and Moose Jaw are a combined 4-0 against the ICE.
7. I think the best team the ICE have played in the West Conference is Portland. They also have good size and speed and good depth. Defense is a little young. I think Tri City may be a better team but had an off night in Cranbrook. The ICE have yet to see a B.C. Division team.
8. I think the WHL vs Russia series is again getting criticized for the quality of players on the Russian roster. In the previous 6 years of the event there has not been one WHL player that I interviewed that didn’t look forward to being in the event and were happy to have played in the game. Are having these games better than the regular All-Star games that the WHL used to have? There were many complaints that the All-Star games were losing their impact of being a special event.
9. I think it’s a little surprising that there were no ICE players ranked in the NHL Central Scouting Services preliminary rankings. Drew Czerwonka and Christian Magnus missed the first ¼ of the season and haven’t been seen by the scouts enough to get recognized. Joey Leach, Brock Montgomery and Max Reinhart should receive consideration as the season continues.
10. I think these are my non-hockey thoughts.
a) I’m looking forward to reading Peter King’s Monday Morning Quarterback book on the trip through the B.C. Division. Stephen Brunt’s Gretzky book is in the on-deck circle.
b) The CFL East and West Finals are shaping up to be a couple of great games. Who you got?
c) There should be video review for soccer games. There is usually only 1 goal in a game; can’t they be sure it was a legal goal? I know the Irish visitors to the blog agree.
d) I haven’t watched a race this year but NASCAR’s Jimmie Johnson is my prediction to win Sports Illustrated's Sportsman of the Year. Champion 4 years in a row. I don’t follow boxing, but the fact I have heard Manny Pacquiao’s name a lot this year, means he should receive consideration. Best fighter in the world?