Monday, June 27, 2011

10 Things I Think I Think

1. I think it was no surprise that Nathan Lieuwen was drafted on Saturday. He is the 4th ICE goalie drafted joining Taylor Dakers, Jeff Glass and Dan Blackburn. Thomas Heemskerk signed a free agent contract while with Everett.

2. I think ICE prospect Michael King (2008 3rd round Bantam pick), who is committed to Colorado College, must be disappointed in not being selected after being in the rankings most of the season.

3. I think Cranbrook native Sam Mellor, who played BCHL w/Trail, is feeling the same as King.

4. I think after not having a player selected Everett will have a player selected 1st overall in 2012 as defenseman Ryan Murray will be the most talked about prospect in the WHL.

5. I think it'll be interesting to see what happens in Medicine Hat after the new rink proposal was voted down 6-3 in city council. The building does net meet WHL standards.

6. I think when the WHL regular season schedule is released this week I'll be watching who the home opener will be against (banner night) and if the club will continue with a New Years Eve game.

7. I think the ICE will either trade for an Import player or trade up in the Import Draft. Their 1st selection is 51st overall which is not great.

8. I think there will be a few undrafted ICE players receiving invites to NHL camps.

9. I think the WHL teams looking to fill their coaching staffs are waiting to see who doesn't get jobs in the NHL and AHL. It's a domino affect that can last all summer. Cory Clouston, Brad Lauer and Ryan McGill will find jobs somewhere.

10. I think these are my non-hockey thoughts.
a) Last week I said the best new TV Show was The Sports Show with Norm MacDonald and then found out it was cancelled. Too bad, it was laugh out loud funny.

b) Another new show to check out is Feherty on the Golf channel. It's quirky but worth a look.

c) Best TV commercial is the Snickers ad with Joe Pesci and Don Rickles.