Monday, September 19, 2011

10 Things I Think I Think

1. I think because of 5 players at NHL camps and 2 injuries the ICE keeping 27 players on the roster makes mathematical sense. They’ll have enough bodies to have complete line-up for the weekend games.

2. I think the ICE have no regrets in using very young line-ups during the preseason. Wins and losses mean nothing in the exhibition season. A few of the games the opposition had 3 20-years olds and 7-8 19-year olds and beat the ICE by lopsided scores. But the ICE have better understanding on who is ready to play in the WHL than they did 2 weeks ago.

3. I think the ICE will use 20-year-old forwards Joe Antilla and Jesse Ismond this weekend as over-agers. Nathan Lieuwen and James Martin may still be with their NHL teams. Antilla arrived in Cranbrook a few days ago but was still waiting for his equipment to arrive from San Jose.

4. I think looking down the road for next year they ICE have to be concerned they have only one 18-year-old defenseman (Dirk) and one 17-year-old forward (Cable).

5. I think looking down the road for the next few years the ICE have to be excited they had 8 16-year-olds seriously challenge for a roster spot this year.

6. I think the ICE and all WHL teams are at the mercy of NHL as they wait for players to be returned to junior.

7. I think when I was attending the ICE practices this week and looked up to the Rec-Plex rafters and noticed they moved the current banners over to make room for 2 new ones is when I started to really look forward to the home opener. Whether you went to one game or all of them last year, you should be a part of the special ceremonies on Saturday.

8. I think I’m surprised the ICE Reach Program idea hasn’t caught on in other WHL cities.

9. I think one of the best parts of a new season is reading over the ICE Record Book. I’m not sure how many WHL teams have such a book but I’m glad the ICE have documented their entire history. It’s now 156 pages.

10. I think these are my non-hockey thoughts.
a) I’ll give Netflex and try for the 1-month trail. The complete history of The Larry Sanders Show is going to great to watch. Hey Now.

b) Watching House without the character Cuddy is going to be a totally different show.

c) If the Red Sox didn’t win the 04 & 07 World Series’, their fans would be unbearable with what has happened this month.