Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Knoblauch Back In Hockey

From The Drive/B-104 newsroom ...

The last coach to lead a Kootenay Ice team to a league title is heading up highway 95A to help the Kimberley Dynamiters.
Kris Knoblauch is joining the Nitros coaching staff for the 2012-13 season and will help during all home games.
He says he's going to help in any way he can.
"I'm just a helper, I'll do what I'm told," Knoblauch says. "If they want me to work with the forwards, the defence or special teams, I'll do that. As of now, I'm not sure what my role is, I just want to help out Roman as much as possible."
As head coach, Knoblauch led the Kootenay Ice to the 2010-11 Ed Chynoweth Cup title and an appearance in the Memorial Cup.
Dynamiters President, Dave Smith says having both Roman Vopat and Kris Knoblauch on the coaching staff is a major advantage when it comes to recruiting players.
"To be able to put those two guys up onto our website and into our pamphlets that we hand out to recruit players is huge," Smith says. "Players are always looking to improve and they're not stupid. They know a coach with great experience and great success in the hockey world will do nothing but good for them."
Knoblauch is excited to work with former NHLer Roman Vopat who led the Nitros to a 34 point turnaround.